Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My belly button was in a lot of pain for two days and then

Customer Question

My belly button was in a lot of pain for two days and then the pain stopped but my belly button has been bleeding for about two weeks. It's not a lot of blood but it also has a little bit of puss. I have had ultra sounds and a cat scans to see what it
was but they couldn't see anything. They said it might be an infection and have taken antibiotics for about a week and it still continues. Pleaseeee help!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Well by far the most common cause of bleeding from the belly button is an infection. Your doctors are most likely right in considering this an infection. The presence of pus from the belly button also lends more credence to this diagnosis. Now as to why the antibiotics aren't working, well there can be a couple of reasons for that,

1) The first one is that the bacteria which are infecting this region of the body are resistant to the antibiotic which you are currently on. This is a very common cause for antibiotics not eliminating the infection. The best way to get the right antibiotic is to get a culture of the blood and pus draining from the site. If a culture has been done previously and the current antibiotics which you are receiving are according to that culture, repeat the culture once again, sometimes the initial culture can miss some bacteria or there can be a superadded infection later on. I would advise a culture of the discharge as well as specifically looking for hard to treat bacteria such as MRSA. MRSA is a resistant bug which requires special antibiotics to be treated with.

2) The second cause of this could be that this is not a bacterial infection at all but a fungal infection. This would explain the ineffectiveness of the antibiotics to clear up the infection. If this is the case you should ask your doctors to do a fungal culture of the discharge and maybe even add an antifungal to the treatment regimen.

Lastly, an abdominal ultrasound or CT scan wouldn't show anything if the infection is limited to the skin and soft tissue. An ultrasound can ick up on an abscess in the abdominal wall but if didn't that means its not present. One last possibility is that in rare cases this can be due to remnants of the urachal cyst which is present during development in the womb. That can be checked with the help of specialized tests to see if there is a pathway leading from inside the belly button. But as i said this is a rare cause of bleeding. I would advise that you first have your doctors look into the above possibilities.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have anymore questions? If done for now, please leave a positive feedback rating as i am not compensated for my time until you do. You can always ask follow up questions after that.

Do you have anymore questions? If done for now, please leave a positive feedback rating as i am not compensated for my time until you do. You can always ask follow up questions after that