How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrThomasMd Your Own Question
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 64330
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
DrThomasMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dermatologist in San Francisco Bay Area who has experience

Customer Question

For a Dermatologist in San Francisco Bay Area who has experience in Demodex with Ivermectin treatment.
I was diagnosed with demodex by my optometrist. The Optimel honey drops helped my eyes alot. To treat my face, scalp and chest, I went to 2 dermatologists who didn't have experience with demodex but after I asked for it they gave me metronodizole creme. It helped a little, but is terribly drying. I have very sensitive skin. The demodex seems to be very sensitive to diet and it is hard to go without dairy, wheat, alcohol and sugar all the time. When I have much of either the itchy and crawly sensations intensify, mostly overnight and early morning. I also use tea tree oil soap, shampoo and change my pillow cases and lent brush my sheets nightly. I got this condition years
ago from an ex-boyfriend and it was mild until two years ago, when I went through a terrible trauma and the mite population exploded. I bought Ivermectin online, but have not used it yet. I would like to have a qualified dermatologist assist me on how to use it. I noticed a post from 4 years ago that someone said there were 2 dermatologists in S.F. who treat this.
I would very much appreciate if you could let me know who in the S.F. bay area could help me. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. The RX meds I have tried for this are Doxycycline and Metronidazole. I am on no other medications. I want very much a referral to a dermotologist in the S.F. bay area who has experience and success treating demodex. I know that as we age most of us have it, but I would at least like to get the population down. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

There, really, is no need to see a dermatologist for demodex. 99 times out of a hundred these little beasties post no problem at all....and almost everyone has some living on them....

Your optometrist has, in my opinion, blown this way out of proportion....

The good news? With simple twice daily face washing with soap and water, as well as exfoliating dead skin, with most any product available a the store, the mites can be easily be brought under control.

Here is an excellent article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:

So. What is the take home message?

Take the $300 you would spend on consulting a dermatologist and spend it on a nice dinner and a play.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moderator Maybe you haven't worked with anyone who has a high population of them. I could just go about my business until the population soared after going through a major traumatic life event. Sometimes my face swells (elephant man style). They're in my pubes, etc
There are many dermotologists out there who treat more aggressively in this situation, just so far haven't found one in my area.
Thank you for your time. I would like a different Expert please.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
HI, per your request, your question has been placed back in the queue. Thank you for your continued patience as I find a new Expert for you.
Camille - Moderator
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am so sorry for the long wait, it's difficult to predict when an Expert with the expertise needed for your question might be logging on. We will continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.


Do you have a specific question that remains?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. After experiencing a major traumatic event, the demodex population on my body has soared and I would like to know if you have a referral to a dermotologist in the S.F Bay Area who has experience in treating this.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.


All dermatologists have experience and training in this.

There is no such thing as a demodex specialist.

It generally only infects the eyelashes.

It is easily identifiable under magnification.

Or by swab for the lab.

Is there another question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already had it scraped and identified by the M.D. that I work for. The 2 dermotologists I saw knew nothing about it. There is one in my area who knows alot about treating cases with high population, she's just not taking any new patients. The only question I have asked and want answered is if you know of any dermotologists in the S.F. bay area who are experienced in treating patients with a high demodex population. Since you have not answered that question, I expect not to be charged for this. Thanks anyway.