Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have had a red patch on top of left thigh for 5 years non

Customer Question

I have had a red patch on top of left thigh for 5 years non -itchy (3x2 cm) and a couple of smaller patches one non-itchy on top of right arm (from recently) and one on buttock. I also have dry skin in some areas. I also have a much larger red patch non-itchy
above right armpit - still underarm. Also just today what seems to be a very small swollen lymph node or spot under same arm in armpit.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have history of Diabetes?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr PravinNo I do not have a history of diabetes.Best Wishes
Henry

Thank you Henry for the information provided

Do you have any level of burning on these patches?

Do these patches go away in 3 to 5 hours? and then come back at the same site?

Are they persistent in nature?

Does the larger red patch on the right arm pit itch? Did it happen after a run or a trek ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dr Pravin
There is no burning on any of the patches.The patch on my leg and buttock and top of the arm. (not underarm) are persistent and do not go away. The main 3x2 cm patch on my leg in the picture has been there for 5 years and is not itchy ever. Sometimes dry skin on it and in whole crutch zone.The smaller patch on top of my arm seems to fade and come back again. But the larger patch on leg remains always red but sometimes more red than at other times and in specific parts of the patch.Regarding underarm it is mostly not itchy at all but sometimes itches a little. It has been there for maybe 1 year.I am not sure when it appeared exactly.Best Wishes
Henry

Thank you Henry ,

Have you got the red areas investigated by skin scraping , cytology or dermascopy tests?

Have you used any creams on the area like anti fungal creams?

Do you have any other systemic issues like acidity , thyroid issues?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dr PravinI have not investigated with any scraping due to their nonitchy and non growing nature ( they may grow very slightly but generally seem to remain same size).There are no thyroid or acidity issues that I am aware of. But I have a double chin and more fatty areas than before. However I am not overweight. 1.92 tall and 82 kilos.I have used zinc based fungal cream and general from store fungal cream both calm the areas down but do not get rid of them even after longterm use.Best Wishes
Henry

Thank you for the valuable information provided.

Is the lymph node like growth in the arm pit painful?

Can you hold it in between your fingers?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a little painful and sore. It is very small so cannot hold it. Feels like the size of a spot. Also a little red where the spot is.Best Wishes
Henry

The presence of a lymph node indicates an inflammation in the red patches.

This calls for investigation.

would you like me to list down certain important investigations to rule out Mycosis fungoides , Pityriasis Atypical Rosea , Annular erythemas.

Any history of tick bites or Lyme disease?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would be interested in that list.Do you believe it is fungal related?No history of lyme disease or tick bites although I was bitten once.Best Wishes
Henry

No this cannot be fungal related as it is very persistent and is associated with Lymph nodes.

The list is as follows:

Dermascopy : Non invasive magnifying scope at the Dermatologists office .

Skin scraping of the scales to rule out fungus

Skin biopsy to check for Mycosis Fungoides

Serum Antibodies for Lymes disease

Serum Thyroid levels.

This looks like a patch of Mycosis fungoides , P Rosea or annular erythema ( Lymes)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Pravin I will take your advice.

Thank you very much .

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned?

You can leave behind a feedback from the rating service application on your page

Hello ,

I would like to assist you in your query.

Awaiting a response from you .
Regards

Dr Pravin