Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Has been maybe 4 days since I noticed this lump/boil on my

Customer Question
forehead. It does not open...
Has been maybe 4 days since I noticed this lump/boil on my forehead. It does not open to the outside and doesn't drain to the outside. I did t really insist with warm compress and I guess I should. Is this necessitating seeing a dermatologist? What can
it be? It is small- maybe smaller than a pea( half a pea)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
9/16/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Gehring, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor

Hi there,

it looks like a kind of folliculitis, a fibroma or atheroma. Which means that it looks harmless. Since we can't make a safe diagnosis from the far, a dermatologist will be needed to ensure the diagnosis. But you can wait a week or two, you are not in a hurry. If it is only folliculitis, it will disappear. Fibroma or atheroma can't but be extirpated by a dermatologist.

Good luck!

Why did this appear? Would the extirpation be considered a cosmetic need which insurances most likely don't cover?

Our cells don't always behave like they are supposed to. The older we get, the more of these things we get.

I am afraid that your insurance wouldn't cover the extirpation, but I would just leave it there. I am sure it doesn't make you ugly!

Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor