Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been burned in a part of my head with boiled water

Customer Question

Hello. I have been burned in a part of my head with boiled water since i was a kid. Never got it checked. The hair hasn't grown back. Is there any natural medicine i can use or way? The hair is not growing back only in the part i was burned by the boiled water. Its a bald spot. I have to keep my hair long to cover it.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some Pictures
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

This is post burn scar alopecia. since this was a deep burn most likely a third degree at this area, the hair follicles have burnt and once burnt they do not regenerate. And because there are no hair follicles no medication can promote growth in this area naturally. There are a few treatment options for this, the best option is a hair transplant by a minimally invasive follicular unit extraction (FUE) technique, in which under local anesthesia the hair transplant surgeon takes individual follicular units of hair out from the donor area, the back of the head and transplants them in the scar. These hair grow naturally there after. The other way is to serially excise this patch of scar until all of it is gone and the adjacent hair are approximated, this can be done in 2 or 3 stages and under local anesthesia in your particular case judging by the size of the area. The third option is to insert a tissue expander in the adjacent scalp and expand it for 3 months and in the next stage excise the patch and resurface the area with the expanded scalp skin. All procedures have their pros and cons but the hair transplant technique is the most superior with the best results, since it is single stage and can be done with minimal complications.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

If you require any more information, let me know.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Wish you good health.