Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Is there such a thing as liver spots. What do they look

Customer Question
Is there such a thing...
Is there such a thing as liver spots. What do they look like. What do they mean
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
The spots on my arm are approximately the size of a dime. They are quite red and last approx. 1week before fading out, only to be replaced by another one shortly after.
What may be the cause?. Any prevention?
Spots are only on my left arm!
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of these spots?

I had asked for a picture and have not heard back.

I can address your first question of liver spots. Yes, there is such a thing as liver spots, but the name is ***** ***** These spots do not have anything to do with liver function. The more proper name is ***** ***** lentigo, as they are related to sun exposure, and are seen more as people age, because there are more years of sun exposure. These are generally not a concern and does not require any intervention.

Whether the spots that you are experiencing could be solar lentigo would be better discussed once I receive a picture.

You posted a picture attach to a different question, but I will respond here to keep all of the information together.

Although it is not clear when I try to zoom in on the image, this image does not have the appearance of a liver spot/solar lentigo. This looks to be more of an inflammatory area that is losing the surface. From your description of healing over about a week, this would suggest a minor amount of inflammation. In the future, when one of these spots develop, then you can try cleaning the area well with soap and water and then applying an over the counter hydrocortisone cream to ease inflammation. It also would be important to not pick or scratch the spots, so it may help to cover the spots with a bandage for protection.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor