Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have a rash which started on my thigh and has gone up to

Customer Question
my buttocks area. The rash...
I have a rash which started on my thigh and has gone up to my buttocks area. The rash on my thigh did not itch at all, but the ones located on my buttocks itch me like crazy. In the past have got razor bumps on my inner thigh I had always been sensitive
to that, but never have I had this rash before on my buttocks area. What can this it be? Kind Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Included is a picture from the back of my thigh and my buttocks where the rash is located.
9/4/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Your history and clinical picture to me are most suggestive of Superficial Folliculitis. This is a bacterial infection of the hair follicles/skin pores and is a common problem on the thigh/buttock area. It often occurs in conditions of heat or humidity or an account of skin friction or synthetic clothing.

The problem is harmless and will respond to a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day along with 2% Mupirocin cream twice a day for 14 days. Your doctor will be able to prescribe these for you. Also an oral antihistamine like Claritin 10 mg should be started once or twice a day depending on the severity of the itching. You should be fine in 5-7 days once treatment is started.

You can also use an antibacterial soap like Dial for bathing for a few months to help prevent a recurrence. This soap and Claritin are available over the counter without a prescription and can be started right away as can an over the counter antibiotic like Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the affected areas.

Lastly stay as dry and clean as possible and wear loose fitting cotton clothes for the time being.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist