Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I've got a rash on my neck. I usually feel heat in the

Customer Question
area/tense when it occurs &...
I've got a rash on my neck. I usually feel heat in the area/tense when it occurs & sometimes it is brought on by alcohol consumption. Is there I way I could send a picture to maybe rule out some things? It's a regular occurrence, but since it is not a frequent phenomenon -- even if I went to a doc all I could do is show a picture.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
8/26/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Attached two photos.
In those images, it's only on my neck -- but it occasionally appears along my collar bone/chest, and it's always splotchy. There is no pain or itching... Just warmth + tension. It never lasts for more than a few hours, and that is an estimation because it fades as unnoticeably as it appears (usually only discover it from either someone pointing it out or through a mirror - as was the case when I took the photo above)

Do you get associated swelling and tension of the eyelids and forehead area or lips as well?

No noticeable swelling at all. The affected area is always the neck and/or along the collar bone. The only sensation I can associate with it is warmth & tension in the neck -- but never any noticeable swelling.
As I mentioned earlier, it sometimes coincides with alcohol consumption -- but it has also appeared in utterly sober moments of extreme anxiety or stress (which is obviously not how one feels after a few sips of a cocktail).I googled a bit about rashes before contacting you & have struggled to find any information on one such as this - which branches out either vertically or horizontally from the center "dimple" of the collar bone - Many people complain more specifically of neck or chest rash.

Do you apply any perfumes directly on the neck and collar bone site?

No perfume or cologne.

When you mentioned tension in the neck ? What you do you mean by this tension?

Are you talking about skin stiffness or neck stiffness?

Do you have any palpable lymph nodes?

I associate "stiffness" with bone. This is more muscular, so I wouldn't call the sensation skin "stiffness" as much as skin "tightness" -- tension is probably the most accurate description.No palpable nodes.The sensation is so subtle that I am usually not aware of it until after someone has pointed out the visual manifestation... But as I said earlier it Is usually paired with a sensation of warmth -- not unlike being red-faced... Only on my neck/along my collar bone

Increase with sunlight ?

Increase with sweat?

No increase with either of those... I don't sweat a whole lot -- it would take me about 45 minutes of running to work one up.

From the detailed history that you have provided me , it does not look like an infection , malignancy , or anything vascular.

It looks like a temporary appearance of a redness that tends to go away . It is a form of a dermographism that comes along the collar bone.

This condition can be treated with intake of oral antihistamines like Levocetrizine which can be taken twice a day for 15 days.

You can get this over the counter.

It is a subtype of urticaria.

It would take of the redness totally .

It is associated with the tension like you have observed.

How many times in a month do you get this?

Probably 4-8 times per month that I notice

Do you Agree with what I had mentioned above ?

The frequency of occurrence also fits in the diagnosis

Yeah I would say that I agree. Is there any reason to treat other than cosmetic? Because if that is the case I probably won't. Does it implicate risk or correlation with any other condition?
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist