Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is this a live chat?

Customer Question

Is this a live chat?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me if these are skin tags or warts. The redness is due to irritation from a topical medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These appeared after a music festival followed by a weekend of hiking. I often will touch that area through my shorts as well.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response.

The appearance on the image is most consistent with genital warts. They do not have the appearance of skin tags. It is also possible that these are due to molluscum contagiosum, which is another viral infection of the skin.

You do not say which topical medicine was applied, but there are limited choices that are available over the counter, and none that are as effective a what can be done by a doctor. The freezing treatment for warts is more likely to be effective than any over the counter topical medicine. If this is not sufficient, then it would be better for you to see your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The topical solution was podofilox, which just seems to make the skin irritated rather than help the condition. A doctor prescribed this but he didn't seem to know much about this topic. I wanted to get your opinion and here is a second picture which shows the shinyness of them but also makes the irritation look worse.

Actually, several of these lesions have more of the characteristic appearance of molluscum contagiosum, which is a central umbilication (or depression). As noted above, molluscum contagiosum is also caused by a virus. Many of these will clear spontaneously, although it may take a couple months, so we frequently do not treat them on initial presentation. If they persist, then local destructive interventions, such as with freezing or chemical treatment, or surgery, such as curettage, can be used to treat the lesions.