Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I went to a PCP with an itchy rash on my stomach. PCP

Customer Question
I went to a PCP...
I went to a PCP with an itchy rash on my stomach. PCP prescribed lotion for scabies b/c, although the rash didn't really look like scabies, she couldn't think of what else it could be (no new soaps, lotions, detergents, hot tubs, medicines, etc) but we had been traveling extensively over the preceding month. The rash was itchy but not unbearably so, and not extra itchy at any special time of day. Neither my husband nor our baby itched at all then (2 weeks ago) or now. We all used the scabies lotion 2 weeks ago; I have also applied it 3 more times since then. My husband still has no signs/symptoms. Our baby has a few (5 total) individual red bumps but they don't seem to itch. Despite my multiple applications of the scabies lotion, I am still finding small, individual red bumps (not clusters) scattered randomly on my body. The bumps are small and don't seem to itch. I've looks for signs of bedbugs and found none. (Plus, my bumps are small, pin-head size). Ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
8/18/2015
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Hello
Please attach a picture
I've attached 3 pics showing individual bumps in 3 places--my right leg above the knee, my left arm above my elbow, and my left thigh. The bumps aren't particularly itchy--they're mildly itchy (less than a mosquito bite) if my clothing rubs them. The rash/bites/whatever on my stomach that led me to the doctor in the first place have cleared but I keep finding these new red bumps and am worried about them.
Hi
These are not scabies.
These are , effectively, small cystic acne.
They are hormone and environmentally related.
Use an ivory soap scrub on them once a day.
They should go away on their own.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
I though I was doing better but now I don't think so. Two days ago another itchy spot appeared on my arm above the elbow, more similar to the ones that precipitated my initial trip to a PCP than the ones in the photos I sent. It was hard to photograph but its basically several (3?) very small bumps surrounded by redness with satellite bump. I had one just like it on my arm when I originally went to the PCP--I can still see a darkend area where its healing. I also had a much larger one like this on my abdomen that is still healing. So, is this new itchy area scabies, or more of the acne diagnosed above, or is this something else entirely like eczema or pityriasis rosea? When I think back to how this all unfolded, I first had the large itchy spot on my abdomen, then some days later (less than a week I think) I had a ton of very small, itchy red bumps on my stomach plus one on my arm and one on my upper thigh. That's the point where I went to the PCP and, as described above, got treated for scabies for lack of any other idea as to what it could be. As of today, all of the itchy bumps have either vanished (small ones) or faded (large ones) except the new one that just appeared on my arm. I'm concerned if the original diagnosis of scabies was correct that this is a re-infection (though from what source I cannot imagine--our disinfection of home and workplace have been insanely thorough).

The only way to tell would be to do a scraping for the lab, which is easy to do.

They don't look like scabies.

Please click a positive rating..don't see one.

Come back after that.

Sorry--the instructions said to provide a rating when I was finished. Since this correspondence was related to my initial inquiry I thought I was supposed to wait and provide a rating at the end.

That is fine. YOu can rate on this post if ready.

Remember, you can come back after you rate as well.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath