How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 65319
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am age 60, with a rash on the right chin and under my

Customer Question

Hi. I am age 60, with a rash on the right chin and under my nostrils for the past 3-4 months. Dermatologist has tried doxycycline, Topicort ointment, Psorcon ointment, and antifungal ointment. The doxycycline did not help at all. The antifungal ointment inflamed the area and was very irritating, so stopped. The Topicort cream helped calm down the rash but did not eliminate it. The Psorcon did an even better job of fading the rash, but did not eliminate it. Once off the Topicort and Psorcon, the rash comes back as strong as ever. Since I was treating the area under my nostril as well as right chin area with the Topicort and Psorcon ointments, my right nostril has become dry, inflamed, and bled. My dermatologist suggests allergy testing next. I have voluntarily taken myself off of the topical steroid ointments, and have recently started applying a mixture of virgin olive oil and tea tree oil. This helps the pain (it is not extremely itchy), but does not clear the redness and rash over the past 3-4 days. My biopsy results including immunofluorescent study give diagnosis of subacute spongiotic dermatitis,negative for fungal organisms, not suspicious for bullous, or DH, or BP, or EBA or other autoimmune disorders. I still have the rash. Next step, allergy testing? Anything to help in between these testings or further help treating? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
This type of dermatitis is typical for contact dermatitis or allergy.
I would see an allergist/immunologist.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.