dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

What causes tenderness, sore, itchy, scalp in the crown of

Customer Question

What causes tenderness, sore, itchy, scalp in the crown of my head and hair shredding?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

This can ha a number of causes - how long have you had the problem? Is it just the crown area that itches?

Any scaling in the affected area?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've dealt with this for about a little over a year. I went to see a dermatologist in June of last year when I noticed that after 6 months prior to seeing the dr my scalp was irritated. She told me it was dermatitis and after research myself I realize it wasn't that but by than I hair had begin to shed very badly. I went to see a scientist who looked at the follicles in my scalp and she told me I had an infection. My general dr gave me antibiotics in April 2015 to take for two weeks. I took that and my head does feel better, but now it's irritated again. Yes it is only in the crown of my head and I took pictures of my scalp and I see what look like scaling and/or pimples. It's not dandruff at all and I wash my head often with an all natural essential oil shampoo and conditioner.