Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Ten months ago I was diagnosed with shingles on my face by a

Customer Question
dermatologist. The blisters were...
Ten months ago I was diagnosed with shingles on my face by a dermatologist. The blisters were in/on my nose and upper left cheek. The doctor told me that they were scabbing over and said it would take its course without any intervention, i.e. Valtrex. A week later it looked better and my nose returned to a normal shape and color. I woke up a day later and my nose was red, slightly swollen and sensitive to the touch. I went back to doctor who gave me a 10 day prescription for valtrex. She backed off the shingles dx and said it might be something else, but she was never able to give me a definitive diagnosis. My nose has never returned to normal. It remains red, slightly swollen at the tip, and sensitive to touch sometimes. Once or twice it looks like it is gong to clear up as the redness starts to go away beginning at the bridge and working its way down to tip, but it never clears completely. The tip remains a darker shade of red and the swelling has never gone away. Any idea what this could be? Persistent shingles?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
8/2/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

The photobucket link is not opening for me and I do not see a paper clip icon (using an iPad). Do you have a number I can text?
I see a link to add files. I will try that.

DO YOU SEE an attachment clip in the chat box?

great thanks!

I don't see a paper clip anywhere. I am going to end this session. Please disregard my request for a phone call. Thank you for your time.

I could try to answer without the photo Should i continue or opt out?

Should i continue with the answer?

Do your best without a photo, thanks.

This is definitely not persistent shingles.

This sounds like persistent Rosacea

it is the persistent inflammation of sebaceous glands

Do you get boils anytime on the area

No boils , but sometimes I think I see very small bumps on surface.

Yes , this is what I was mentioning about. The sebaceous glands are causing the small bumps.

Are these bumps painful?

Sometimes, on days when the inflammation seems greater

Does this red condition also increase with alcohol/wine / exercise /heat?

I have tried to identify things in my diet that could be related, but have not made any connections. Heat does not see me to be a bother.

This condition is called Rosacea and is not related to Shingles.

This condition can be controlled with application of Retinol based creams on the area on a daily basis for a minimum of 3 months

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned?

Would you like me to release the application for giving me a rating for my answer provided?

thank you

Thank you very much

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist