Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My son is 17 and confined to a wheelchair. He has had some

Customer Question

My son is 17 and confined to a wheelchair. He has had some sores on his bottom and the nurse said it was a bad case of nappy rash. The skin is broken and there's a area that has turned very purple. The nurses came again but said the same thing. I am using
cavilon cream and aveeno , but I am convinced they are the start of pressure sores. I don't want there to be any further damage and am not being given any real preventative advice and want to know if there's a specialist I can request see my son or if he is
entitled to a second opinion ?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Yes. I would first consult with your sons primary care MD. She should be able to write orders for the nurses to follow to make sure these areas do not progress into pressure sores.
From what you have posted, I agree: You are right to be concerned. I would do your best to keep his weight off of this area and protect this area of irritated skin.
I wish your son the very best. He is very fortunate to have such a loving and caring mother :)
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS