dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I was told by my physician to use Lamasil topically for

Customer Question

I was told by my physician to use Lamasil topically for treatment of jock itch in the underwear area. I was also told that I'd probably have to use it, off and on, for the rest of my life. I'm currrently 72. Now I read in a reputable publication(Consumers)
that using Lamisil can cause serious even fatal liver problems. If so, do you have a different treatment suggestion? Your comment please? John at john-jayne @ sbcglobal.net
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 2 years ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern. Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service . Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:Since how long have you been using it?Do you have any history of Chronic Liver disease?Do you have any history of daily alcohol intake?Do you have history of jaundice in the past? Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Off and on for one year and a half. this treatment started as a prescription, Terbinafine and then I was told by a pharmacist that the product, Lamisil was Exactly the same thing only less expensive.
NO history of liver disease.
during my younger years, 20's thru 60s, I drank socially about 4 glasses of either wine, or a vodka mix. for approx the last ten years I average glass of a red wine per day, perhaps 2 or 3 on a Fri or Sat evening only with dinner.
NO history of jaundice.
I think your medical history related to the liver seems to be all clear. There does not seem any risk of liver damage after prolonged use ( on and off ) of topical terbinafine which is same as Lamisil. The use of oral tablets of terbinafine or oral tablets of Lamisil can cause liver damage if taken for many years. or month.You can safely use Lamisil on and off for many years topically . Do not worry . Please do get back to me in case of any further queries.