dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Can you use a zinc oxide based diaper cream as a sunscreen?

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 2 years ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted. My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern. Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service . Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information: Do you have a photo of the cream?Are there any other accompanying products apart from zinc oxide in that? Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is EPC-Extra Protective Cream -SECURA-by Smith& nephew. The Active ingredient is zinc oxide 30.6%. The inactive ingredients are: petrolatum, karaya gum,cetearyl acohol, methyl glucose dioleate, mineral oio, cellulose gum, watermethylparaben, tocopheryl acetate,diazolidinyl urea,benzethonium chloride butylparaben. It comes in 3,25 oz. squeeze tube. I do not have a picture.
This cream can cause burning in the eyes when you use at a sunscreen for the face . It can causes redness , watering in the eye area. It can be used for other body parts like the neck , back of the neck , forearms , legs . However . I would caution you against using it for the face due to the above mentioned side effect. What part of the body do you want to use it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YOU SAID: " The cream may cause burning in the eyes....."
QUESTION: What ingredient causes burning of the eyes?
YOU SAID" "What part of the body do you want to use it ?
ME: I did not think about that
diazolidinyl urea,benzethonium chloride : are the most common causes for the burning in the eyes and can be toxic for the eyes. It would be a safer option to put the creams on the other areas of the body. Please do get back to me in case of any further queries.