Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I was diagnosed with Herpes Whitlow. My symptoms were a lump

Customer Question
on the thumb along with...
I was diagnosed with Herpes Whitlow. My symptoms were a lump on the thumb along with swelling appearing suddenly. Also, if you were to push in my thumb near the area if looked like a patterned diamonds deep inside my thumb, but no blister had formed on tge skin surface. There was no pain , but a little tenderness when touching. I was prescribed Valtrex and the patterned objects in my hand disappeared and some swelling went away in 24 hours, but I still had a lump on my finger. I went back to the doctor and they prescribed another round of Valtrex and told me it could take up to a month to heal. Well, I took the second round for three days and quit. I went back to the doctor at a month after the lump would not go away and it was still tender to touch, so they referred me to hand specialist. I went to see the specialist and the diagnosed me with a giant cell tumor in which needed surgery to remove. My question is do I have Herpes Whitlow and a giant cell tumor in the same kind location?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2015
Dermatologist: DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Hello
If this was based on lab findings , that is what you have.
What did the lab show?
There was no labs done as no blister was present.
I only had a swollen thumb, not overly swollen and you had to actually press ony finger to see the diamond shaped pattern. This pattern did not show without applied pressure and my thumb was not red.
You did not answer my questions.
What labs were done.
Was a biopsy sample sent to the lab?
Sorry, I thought I responded directly to this question. No labs were done because there was no blister or sore on the skin at all my doctor visits. Only a X-ray was done and it was negative.
OK
So you can not get an exact diagnosis without a sample being sent to the lab.
Asking if you can have both...sure...but not without confirmation by the lab.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath