DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

On Friday while at the pool, I was bothered by a small red

Customer Question

On Friday while at the pool, I was bothered by a small red itchy area of skin on the back of my left hand near my wrist. Saturday morning I awoke to find 3 small blisters. It's Tuesday and now they are red and scabbed over, and I have joint pain in my pointing finger. Only 3 blisters still in the same location on the back of the hand. Is this a small shingles outbreak? Or Herpes Whitlow?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Yes it could be shingles
Please attach a picture
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not seeing an attachment ...
I'm hoping shingles is more likely given the location and the fact that it seems to have originated near a nerve in my hand. Could the sun exposure have brought it on?
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
No one knows what brings it on.
Go to the doctor. If it is shingles, medicine for it has to be started immediately.
MRSA can also cause blisters. That would spread.
A swab test would be a good idea.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ha! I read your initial response too fast and am now seeing that you were requesting a photo. I've attached one, please take a look.
We're leaving town today, so I can't see a doctor. I guess I'll just see what it looks like when we get back in town or wait to see if it comes back (in which case I'll go and see someone). I was really concerned about it being HSV 1 or 2...but it's on the back of my hand. Just worried in general.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Chemical reaction
Allergy
Herpes
Shingles
MRSA
Most likely looks like a chemical reaction.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.