Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had vitiligo for 2 years now and (thankfully) only…

Customer Question
I have had vitiligo for...
I have had vitiligo for 2 years now and (thankfully) only have a few white spots ranging in size from that of a pea to that of about a quarter. However recently, being the summer, I've developed a tan and started noticing a rather large blotch of discolored skin. The blotch stretches from the bottom of my chest to the top of my belly button covering a solid 5 or 6 inches of skin. Now this skin, although discolored and lighter than the rest of my skin isn't even close to as white as my other spots. To be honest, it's barely noticeable even with my dark(ish) tan. This led me to question how vitiligo works: do the spots simply develop and spread? Or can they develop and get whiter? I'm hoping to figure out whether or not this is vitiligo (rather than simple discoloration). PS: I put it under the blacklight, and it showed up but very faintly, especially in comparison to the rest of my spots.
Thank you!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Whoops! Please ignore that, didn't mean to click on the live call request!
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2015
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 3 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
do you have a pic?
Unfortunately, it is so faint that my phone camera can't capture it.

the cells that create pigment die off. So as more and more die off, the spots get whiter. And this continues over the body over time