How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 18757
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About a year ago, I had a bump on my forehead near my

Customer Question

About a year ago, I had a bump on my forehead near my hairline. Like pimple under the skin. I tried to pop it unsuccessfully. Afterward it turned into a scaly raised wart like bump. It sometimes gets bigger but it scales up and the growth falls off in little pieces. Gets smaller and then bigger. NO IDEA what it is. No insurance either. Doesn't hurt itch or bleed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Can you attach a picture of the bump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing. The picture is the best I could do. It doesn't show at the moment when it scales up and "pieces" come off. It gets kind of crusty with dead skin over time. I lightly move it when it does and pieces of dry dead skin come off. Then it is like the picture (now).
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the picture.
From the appearance, this is most likely a seborrheic keratosis. As long as it continues the pattern that you describe, it does not necessarily require treatment. If it is bothersome, it can be treated, although it would usually require being seen by a doctor.
One of the treatment options that your doctor may consider would be freezing the lesion. There is an over the counter freezing product intended for warts. This product is not as effective the freezing that can be done by your doctor, but there are limited options available over the counter.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much! So this is a "wart"? I was hoping so. Years ago, I had a wart on my hand and used the wart remover compound W. Does this work as well as "freezing" it?I will use whatever you suggest, as it isn't "bothersome" but ugly. I tell my wife I have a "horn", lol. Plus when I get a hair cut the person cutting my hair sometimes catches it with a comb. Once it did bleed after she hit it 3-4 times.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
No, while a seborrheic keratosis may look similar to a wart and is treated by some of the same modalities as is a wart, it is a different condition. There is no evidence that Compound W will work for a seborrheic keratosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks so much!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome.