Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 20 years old and still have acne. I have good health I…

Customer Question
Hello I'm 20 years old...
Hello I'm 20 years old and still have acne. I have good health I eat health is there anything you can recommend. face wash or some home remedies? Fyi I took antibiotics didn't help much.thx
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dermatology
6/23/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for requesting me - would a photograph of the affected areas be possible at your convenience?

Thank you for the photograph. What you have is known as Inflammatory Acne and this is caused due to a combination of hormonal factors, a skin bacteria, blocked pores and external factors like stress, UV light exposure, pollution and diet.

Inflammatory acne usually requires prescription meds like Doxycycline along with Epiduo and Duac gel. However if you cannot see a doctor for these then here is an over the counter regimen you could try.

DCL B Prox face wash - use to wash face twice a day. Lather on, leave for 15-30 seconds, and then wash off. Follow this with Ducray Keracnyl cream - this might sting a little bit for a few seconds but that’s normal. At night apply Neutrogena On the Spot Anti Acne cream over the entire affected areas 5-10 minutes after the Keracnyl cream. This should be applied as a thin layer without rubbing. Orally take Capsule Lumitene 30 mg twice a day after meals (not to be taken if you are a heavy smoker).

Give the regimen 2-4 weeks to work. If it helps and then you can further improve it by applying a Retinol cream like Avene Triacneal cream at night and using the Neutrogena cream in the morning. At that point you will need additional moisturizers for your skin since both products can dry/irritate the skin - Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel is a good choice. Sun protection is important and the Cetaphil Dermacontrol SPF 30 is an excellent product to use in the day time. You can continue this final regimen for as long as you like.

Lastly dietary recommendations - cut down on dairy products, processed foods, junk foods, dry fruits and anything which is too sweet or oily.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.