How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years of Family Practice Experience including most dermatology problems
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Anthony Bray MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have what I think are a cluster of warts on the inside of

Customer Question

I have what I think are a cluster of warts on the inside of my thigh. I have treated this several times with wart freeze off and it works sort of. Over a period of 2 weeks it swells, then turns black, then the skin falls off and the bump remains but is
pink. During this time it is painful to walk. then it stops swelling and then over the next week it eventually disappears. Then slowly they come back one by one. I heard that warts are caused by a zinc deficiency so I bought a zinc supplement which I have
taken now for over 2 months and there has been no change. Normally, when I go on vacation I zap the warts because they really bother me that they are there. However, I am tired of the cycle. Maybe they aren't warts. I dont know. I am just hoping for an answer
to get these damn things to stop growing on me. one other potential key point, I have stretch marks on my inner thigh and they seem to be forming in them. I have already taken pictures but I dont see an option to add them. my skin is also very rough in this
area from chaffing which may have caused this. I have a very active job in which I walk up to 5 miles a day with constant friction in this region. can I make this go away once and for all?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello --
I don't think that you are dealing with warts here.
It looks more of chronic irritation and the chafing may be promoting recurring skin tags. Red areas may fit perhaps with a fungal component to this vs pure inflammation from friction and heat and moisture.
Try an antifungal to see if that may help calm the redness and irritation. Try the woman's product Monostat( nystatin is the active ingredient and works great vs Candida dermatitis )
The skin tags may be removed by a dermatologist. That I think would be your best way to proceed forward and get improvement.
I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
curious, if they are skin tags then why would the wart remover work for a period of time? also if I use all those things and get them gone with a doctor or otherwise how am I going to be able to prevent this in the future? if I understand you though the anti fungal stuff will address the redness only correct?
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello again-
The freeze treatment that you used kills warts by killing the most superficial skin cells. The cells heal in from below. Similar with your skin tags the superficial cells are killed and it heals in. This not the best way to deal with skin tags though.
Most people will get some skin tags as matter of aging and some people get very few and others a lot. The chronic inflammation of the skin is promoting these in your case...
Correct that the anti-fungal treatment settles down the skin infection, inflammation, redness.
So I think that you would do best to treat with nystatin based cream and see dermatologist. The dermatologist can help you with removing skin tags.
I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you. ive asked this one question though and I don't feel it answered directly. If I see a dermatologist (or I saw there is "tag away" at cvs that is for skin tags) if I go either route is there a strong likely hood this will go away forever or am I dealing with this here is some perpetual cycle? I am asking if there is a long term fix vs just remove, wait, remove
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 2 years ago.
It looks to me to be more likely a repetitive cycle. I think calming the baseline skin inflammation will help. I suspect however that there is no way to guarantee that same area may not develop other skin tags in time in same area (or other areas as well in enough time.)
I think you would be best to get treatment by a dermatologist.
I think that you may develop other skin tags over next 5, 10, 15 years...etc...
Partly this may be factors of genetic tendencies, age as well as the skin inflammation.when skin may be irritated by fungal infection or chafing either then the underlying inflammation would tend to promote faster return of the skin tags.
It is to help you to best remove the tags and help the underlying factors that may promote the condition that I recommend that you get treatment with dermatologist 's treating on your own.
I think the specialist will help you to get better results.
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD