Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a mole that I think is Melanoma. I first noticed this

Customer Question

I have a mole that I think is Melanoma. I first noticed this mole 3 years ago when I had a sudden sharp pain on my thigh and looked and noticed a mole there. I'm not sure if I had it before or not. The mole is flat and its not raised. The mole sometimes itches. But it always hurts when I press hard on it. It feels like the muscle under the mole is sore. I have convinced myself that I have melanoma but since I have extreme anxiety and fear of cancer I have stopped myself from seeing a dermatologist. I showed to my family doctor and he said he doesn't feel concerned unless it gets bigger. The mole hasn't really gotten bigger in the past 3 years, if any the change is very minimal. My mole is 3mm and is brown with a black centre. I'm 25 years old with brown skin. No history of melanoma in my family. I have basically convinced myself that I have melanoma and this has caused me a great deal of stress. I can't really keep up with school work thinking I have melanoma and will die within the next few years.
When a mole hurts when pressed, is that s sign of melanoma? Does that mean the cancer has advanced to deeper layers of skin and the muscle?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here are some pictures of my mole, i tried to get as close as possible, it looks big in these images but is only 3mm when measured and it hasn't gotten bigger in the past 3 years. maybe a bit but not very noticeable.http://i60.tinypic.com/2v3pnwn.jpghttp://i57.tinypic.com/25akf9i.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/b87jps.jpg
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The first thing that i would like to mention here is that pain is something that typically happens when there is some inflammatory process like infection or injury.
In the early stages of cancer, most cancers are PAINLESS.
Pain is something that is typically associated with late stages of cancer only, with the exception of a few cancers like cancers of the bone that may present with pain rather early.
The very fact that your mole has not had any significant growth in the past three years also goes strongly against cancer.
I personally think that it is your anxiety that is getting the better of you.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below before we proceed.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response doctor.
Looking at the photographs I included of my mole, does the mole look suspicious to you? Is that what cancerous moles look like?
And what could be the reason for my mole hurting when I press on it? My mole also itches sometimes. I thought itching is associated with cancer or a change in mole.
This is the most recent photograph of my mole.
http://i61.tinypic.com/332ckeb.png
One thing I have noticed about my mole is that the blacks in the centre are changing colour to a brown shade compared to the above pictures i posted. Is that a sign it's changing?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Your mole does not looks suspicious to me at all.
This is not what cancerous moles would look like.
Itching is something that is not associated with cancer.
It can normally happen with moles.
Itching can at times cause minute trauma to the moles causing a bit of inflammation and pain and that is what is most likely the cause of the pain that you are experiencing.
No this is nothing to worry about and this is normal.
Please rate me before we proceed.
Kind regards