Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have Dermatomyotitis an take Methatrexate is it safe to

Customer Question

I have Dermatomyotitis an take Methatrexate is it safe to take a probiotic with this medication. The Derma has not affected my muscles, only my skin. It took almost 6 years to get a diagnosis and I have been taking the Meth since June 13, and am now reduced to 5mg every Thursday, but still will have days of totally clear skin (escept for my scalp) an other days will awaken with my face and had broken out. I read that probiotics should not be taken with some medications, but nothing was listed. I already eat plain yogurt every day Cobani) and also take 3 blood pressure meds, Bystolic 2.5 mg, Norvasc 5 mg, and Clonidine 0.1 if my BP goes to 150/90. Also Folic Acid due to Meth RX.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is OK to take a probiotic while taking methotrexate.
It is also fine to take a probiotic with the Bystolic, Norvasc, clonidine, and folic acid.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.