Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a red patch of skin on my chin that has persisted for

Customer Question

I have a red patch of skin on my chin that has persisted for years, but has not grown (maybe it has, but too slowly to notice).
The thing does not come and go, and has maybe only gotten darker. It is about the size of a quarter, and it looks like there may be increased vascularity in the area.
The texture is a bit different, bumpier, than surrounding skin and when prodded is also slightly more tender and a residual sensation of warmth persists in the area that was touched.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of this red patch, either a close-u or a high resolution image that allows zooming?
I had asked for a picture and have not heard back.
There are many possible causes of a red patch on the face, but I will comment upon a few of the more common causes.
It could be a primary inflammatory condition, and if a steroid cream is not effective, it may help to use a cream that suppresses the immune system, such as tacrolimus.
It could be a form of eczema that is related to excessive dryness of the skin, in which case moisturizing the skin and limiting the use of strong soaps may be effective.
It also could be a variant of acne, called acne rosacea. Acne rosacea more often affects the area around the nose, but it can also affect the chin. Treatment for acne rosacea usually is oriented towards avoidance of any triggers or exacerbating factors and possibly antibiotics.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.