Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I am curious if you can help me identify what these small…

Customer Question
Hello there, I am curious if...
Hello there,
I am curious if you can help me identify what these small white skin tag-like growths are just below the rim of the head of my penis and before the shaft. Pictures are at:
1 (from the top):
http://bit.ly/1LSR6dC
2 (from the side - also includes smaller ones on the side):
http://bit.ly/1LSRkl6
I just got an STD test and came back negative on both Herpes viruses, but I just don't know what these could be. They don't hurt other than when I have a lot of sexual intercourse or masturbate.
Any help as to what they could be and what kind of treatment options there are or could be would be helpful.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dermatology
The two links above are to pictures -- sorry maybe not the best quality. Thanks for your help
5/30/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.
These bumps are genital warts. This is a sexually transmitted disease caused due to a virus called HPV - it is not picked up by any blood test or STD Panel.
There are numerous effective prescription treatments available for genital warts. These will have to be done by a dermatologist or venereologist and will involve one of the following - Podophylin resin application, Imiquimod application or 50-100% TCA application. Multiple sittings(weekly) are required and clearance takes 6-8 weeks. Single sitting options include electrocautery, radiofrequency ablation, carbon dioxide laser ablation & cryosurgery. I do not recommend any OTC methods for treating warts since none are very effective.
I would suggest starting Zinc Capsules such as L-OptiZinc (one morning, afternoon and evening) and scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist. Till you can get treatment I would suggest stopping sexual activity or making sure you use protection.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.