How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 18532
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently had encounter with a male who I believe has

Customer Question

Hello I recently had sexual encounter with a male who I believe has genital herpes. He masturbated himself and then fingered my anus and afterwards I noticed he had a red scab on his public region and I believe that it was a herpes sore. And for the last two weeks I have a severe itching and burning sensations in my anal region. And I'm afraid that he infected my anus with herpes. Am I at risk? What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The hand is not an efficient method of transmission of herpes. But if the hand is immediately taken from the penis to the genitals or anus, then it could potentially transmit the virus.
Note that the hands are not a mode of transmission after any period of time. For example, if you were to shake hands with someone with a herpes sore that had just previously touched the penis while going to the bathroom, there would be no concern that the virus could get onto your hands and then to your genitals on your next trip to the bathroom.
It is also worth noting that perianal infection with herpes is possible from any sexual encounter. Even a woman that only engages in receptive vaginal sex may get the herpes virus transmitted to the perianal region. Consequently, the development of perianal herpes does not prove that the person engaged in anal sex or direct anal contact.
If you develop any sores around the anus, it would be appropriate to be seen to determine whether they are herpes. But that would be true in any sexually active adult, whether there was an encounter similar to what you describe or not.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would you recommend that I get tested for herpes? Did I have enough of a risk to require testing?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
No, not unless you develop sores around the anus.
A reasonable argument can be made that all sexually active persons should be tested periodically, but I do not think that this single encounter without development of sores would indicate a need to be tested.
So, if you are otherwise sexually active, it would be reasonable to be tested, but if you are otherwise not sexually active and no sores develop, then testing would no be indicated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't feel any sores but I do feel swelling and like bumpiness in that area, could it be like a hemorroid or something?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely. A hemorrhoid is a very common cause of a lump in the anal canal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still feel the burning and itching. I've felt around my anal area and still don't feel sores but this pain and itching is becoming so intense that it's making me very Uncomfortable what should i do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
You can either see your doctor or if you want to try to manage this at home, you can try an over the counter hemorrhoidal cream, such as one that contains hydrocortisone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that. I've used preparation h cream and pads and it has helped a little but I still feel
This burning and pain throughout the day. I plan on being seen tomorrow, but do you have any Ideas as to what this could possibly be?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It could be a hemorrhoid. It could be a small tear or anal fissure. It could be local irritation/inflammation. It could even be a manifestation of anxiety, although this diagnosis would typically involve excluding other possible causes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will this pain & itching eventually go
Away? If i go to a docor will they have to do an physical examination?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Typically yes, the symptoms will resolve, although treatment would need to be oriented towards what is found to be the cause. Yes, the doctor would typically need to do an examination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to the doctor and he said that I have an anal fissure. He prescribed some medicine but my question is can a fissure be caused by herpes?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
They can occur in the same person, but it is not that the anal fissure is caused by herpes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so since I have been diagnosed with a fissure. Can I determine that my rectal pain is solely because of this fissure, and not heroes related
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
as I assume that this means that the doctor did not see any sores.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how long does it usually take for a fissure to heal? The doctor I saw didn't really clarify
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It depends upon how deep it is. It can vary from weeks to months. A few are chronic and require surgery.