Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Can you get a disease from cat scratches or feces

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2015
Dermatologist: Rosie_MRCVS,
 replied 2 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. Are you concerned you may have caught something, or is this just for general information?
My daughter has redness on her hands and it doesn't seem to heal. She has 5 cats.
Dermatologist: Rosie_MRCVS,
 replied 2 years ago
Thank you for getting back to me. I think in that case I will transfer you over to one of the doctor's, if that's ok?
ok
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
This is Dr. David
there are infections you can get from your cat
such as cat scratch fever and toxoplasmosis
but her skin redness may not be due to her cats
she needs to see a dermatologist to get her red skin on her hands biopsied by a dermatologist to know what is causing it
she could have psoriasis or severe eczema or allergic dermatitis on her hands or something else causing this redness which doesn't seem to heal
she could have a skin fungal infections if she is wearing wet gloves frequently.
is she willing to see a dermatologist and her her hands biopsied to find out what is going on?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician