How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nair Your Own Question
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9190
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Nair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I developed a rash on my buttock that has the appearance of

Customer Question

I developed a rash on my buttock that has the appearance of dry and elongated white lesions. The rash is contained to a small patch that is a little larger than the size of a quarter. The individual white bumps vary in size and shape. There are tightly packed round white bumps as well as long white bumps that almost look like maggots. They aren't maggots but they have a similar length, circference and sqiggly shape. They are packed tightly with the round bumps. They are all firm and dry. There isn't any pus or drainage. The tightly packed bumps don't have any redness around each bump. They have a brownish patch of skin under them. The rash stings and itches. I've also felt a burning and tingling sensation. The rash appeared overnight and has grown only a little. It doesn't show any signs of healing. I've never seen anything like this. I haven't seen any pictures of a rash on-line that look anything like this strange rash. Can you help me figure out what is going on and what I should do about it? Thanks. PS: I have a picture of the rash if that would be helpful.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Kindly upload the picture and I'll take a look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Nair-
I'm unable to upload the pictures onto the reply to expert area. I can, however, send them as part of a text message. If this is ok, please send me the information I need to send you a text.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
If you can transfer the photograph to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

Or you can simply email the photographs to***@******.*** with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.

P.S: I am not based in the US so a text message is not possible I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pics are here
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning,

Thank you for the photograph. You're right - this is a strange looking rash. It's very hard to be sure what it is without additional testing but to me the rash is most suggestive of Shingles (Herpes Zoster). Shingles is a reactivation of the Chicken Pox virus. An insect bite reaction can also present like this but Shingles seems more likely.

This will probably worsen for 4-7 days before stabilising and resolving over 7-14 days. Bacitracin ointment should be used over the affected area to prevent secondary infection and Tab Advil 400 mg should be taken three times a day (after meals) to help with the pain. Calamine lotion can be used as often as desired as well - it will help soothe the affected area. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription.

There are prescription drugs (acyclovir/valacyclovir) that can hasten the resolution of Shingles and I would recommend you see your GP/Family physician if possible to get it.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

NOTE: Sorry about the delayed reply. Am on Asia time and was not online over the weekend. Have just seen your response.