Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've been having a sensation on my scalp that is hard to

Customer Question

Hi. I've been having a sensation on my scalp that is hard to explain. My hair fell out about 10-11 years ago near the center of my head due to a ringworm on my scalp. The area is about the width of four fingers put together and when the area is touched, I get a feeling up there. I'm unsure if it would be considered a sweet spot or anything. When I give the hair in the area a tug or scratch, the sensation lingers for a while. Prior to the hair falling out up there, I don't recall feeling this. I've always wondered what it is and I've asked plenty of others and they're completely clueless to what it may be.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It may be that the prior infection that caused the hair loss also resulted in some irritation of the nerve endings. There are other causes of scalp tenderness and sensitivity, such as local inflammation of the skin, a deeper inflammatory condition, such as of the blood vessels, or from hormonal changes or stress. However, the onset of symptoms following a ringworm infection would make it more likely to be irritation related to the infection.
Of these conditions, the only condition that would be worrisome would be inflammation of blood vessels. However, the symptoms related to blood vessel inflammation would usually not be confined to the area of hair loss related to a prior infection. This condition also more typically causes symptoms affecting the scalp on the side of the head.
If it is mild and tolerable, then it is OK to simply monitor the condition. A moisturizing cream may help to ease symptoms. If the symptoms get more severe, it would be appropriate to be seen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.