DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

My live in partner has a skin reaction to something. She

Customer Question

My live in partner has a skin reaction to something. She thinks it something on my propriety as I live in the country. No spraying is done for mosquitoes except what is done by me (very little) and any other spraying for weed or insects by local farmer and me. I have a bug zapper with a mosquito attractant and use off or something like it if needed. This has been going on for three years with bad episodes and stretches without systems. I have bought a stereo microscope so I can examine the specimens she finds all the time. Most of the samples look like skin cells, dirt, lint (a lot of lint samples) and a few insect that are normal to a house in the country. I have taken my cockatiel in to a vet to have him checked for bird mites that are attacking her and the vet said her was the healthiest bird he has seen in a while. I brought some samples I had looked at under my microscope and asked him to look at them. After he examined them he talked to her telling her the bird did not have lice and if he did they do not bother humans and that the samples showed nothing that could bother her. On the way home she told me the could not tell her the samples were beguine because he was not a doctor so he did not know what he was talking about. She has been treated three times for scabies making me take the pills twice if I wanted to be with her. One doctor who cane from a third world country examined her and told her that she does not have or never had scabies. She argued with him and stormed out of the clinic and found a doctor that would treat her for scabies. She took her Yorkie's to the vet to treat them for scabies which they did. Later I talked to the vet and asked him about the treatment and came away that the dogs never scratched (major sign of scabies) and the owner was happy with the outcome (with a shes off my back smile). She has treated with sprays, bombs,tea oil, emu oil (not the cheep stuff I bought but $80 oz blue emu oil) always has some type of insect replant and I think has self treated with dog flea and tick medicine. After a attack once I asked to see the bite marks but she could not show me a new bite but showed me some dark spots (she is a black woman) that looked like bruises. These areas will have something that will crawl out and move to somewhere else and crawl back in. I have removed eyelashes looking for hair follicle mites but could not see any. Has been attacked by no-see-ums but can not produce any specimens as can't see them. She has been exposed to fungus and sprayed fungicide on her clothes and bed sheets. She can not survive without a can of disinfectant near by to spray on everything clothes (putting them on while still wet), bed sheets, dogs, chairs etc. She has numerous times covered her entire body with vapor rub because "they" do not like it. She has allergies but can wear any fabric but the lint from the fabric is different and she tell me she is very allergic to lint. She pots her clothes in plastic after getting her clothes out of the drier because "they" will get on the clothes if just put in a drawer. Almost any clothes she wears are run through the drier to delint them and raise the temp so it will kill "them". Once I brought a wig into the bathroom to show her after putting in in almost boiling water. Instantly on seeing the wig it started attacking her all over her body she told me to get it out. It seems like most attacks come after seeing something suspicions not attacks then finding the source. I can not count the sprays, bleach (1 gall in a day and a half), insecticide, powers, home remedies, stuff put on her skin, etc she has used over the last three years most of them ignoring the directions. We live in central Kansas in a rural area ( the power line ends at our house). She is black thirty five years old woman with a fairly trim body and history of drug use. What steps should I use to help her with this problem. She has just found web sites about morgellons lint so hurry. She is taking antianzity medication and antidepressants four pills total but stops taking them for days sometimes.

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
What tests and exams have been done
Please list all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as she remembers no tests have been done. No allergy scratch tests ever even when younger, no scraping for scabies, two emergency room visits for "them" crawling near her eyes just an examination with no tests. Staff doctors could not find anything near eyes. At least two more ER visits with no conclusion or tests. Her GP has examined her for irritation at least six times and looked at dark patches but no tests. Her biggest source of treatment options is the internet with all the off the wall web sites this has lead her to dust mites, lint bugs, etc

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
has she actually seen a dermatologist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no and as far as I know her GP has not suggested it.

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
OK
It sounds like there is no evidence at all for parasites.
This sound psychological.
That said, such sensations can indicate systemic illness.
Iron deficiency.
Thyroid disease.
Liver or kidney problems.
Hidden infection.
Allergy.
Internal parasites which possibility is alleviated with stool samples.
Heavy metal toxicity.
Psychological problems and anxiety.
Alcohol and other toxins.
Diabetes.
B vitamin deficiency.
If this is all ruled out, and dermatology finds nothing, psychiatry is indicated.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.