Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have this dry skin on my penile shaft. I have tried

Customer Question

I have this dry skin on my penile shaft. I have tried hydrocortisone cream, and lotromin, but it still hasn't gone away

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me - would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photographs. How long have you had this red, dry, patch on the penis?

Does it hurt or itch?

Did you mix and use the hydrocortisone and clotrimazole or separately? And how long were they used for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mixed the two together and they were used for bout 2wks. And it's been dry like this for bout 3wks now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does itch. It is a little sensitive wen I get in the shower and the warm/hot water hits it!. And I do masturbate but I always use lotion

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It doesn't itch*

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Am on Asia time and waited half an hour for a response before calling it a night. Have only seen your responses this morning.

Okay so your red patch is actually suggestive of mild irritant dermatitis to me. I don't see the scaling typical of conditions like Psoriasis or Seborrheic Dermatitis which are common on the penis.

Irritant Dermatitis is caused by the penile skin getting irritated from things like friction, sweat, heat, vaginal fluids etc. This gradually leads to the skin barrier function getting damaged and in turn this make the penile head even more sensitive and prone to the problem.

In this situation a skin repair cream such as as Avene Cicalfate cream or Biafine emulsion can work great along with a soothing aloe vera gel whenever the symptoms flare. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription. For the first two weeks though I would recommend mixing Cortizone-10 cream with Lamisil cream in a 1:1 ratio and applying it twice a day for the first week and then once at night for the second week on the red area. This will make sure any yeast infection (if present - very common in the area) is cleared up after which the skin repair creams I mentioned should be used for 4-8 weeks. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription.

Heat and sweat are factors which can trigger recurrences so keep the penile region as cool and dry as possible. As for masturbation and sex - both of these can irritate the skin and if you can abstain for a month or so that will help the recovery process.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The area doesn't hurt, itch, sensitive, etc. The skin just on the under side and in upper part of the shaft, the skin feels thin like the dry and real stiff. It's like there is a protective barrier. But it's jus to the upper half of the shaft on the under side. The skin feels dry and like it's dead skin to peel off. What is your opinion of wat this is?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

As I said this looks like irritant dermatitis which has not resolved. I have explained this in more detail in my answer as well as measures which can help.