Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

My son is 3. He has a little oval shaped circle in the

Customer Question
center of his forehead. It...
My son is 3. He has a little oval shaped circle in the center of his forehead. It isn't hard and doesn't feel elevated but from a distance, I can see the defined oval. When he's running and gets hot and red, the circle stays somewhat white and doesn't flush over. If I feel it or run my fingers over it, it feels soft like maybe some swelling?!?? It's soft just raised and an oval. What could this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
5/25/2015
Dermatologist: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
do you have a pic?
I'll try to upload

ok. standing by

Does it seem like fluid underneath?

It could be some type of cyst.

I think it is benign but an ultrasound might be needed

Are there malignant causes of something like this?

no. If you can feel the skull underneath the fluid, then he is fine in all likelihood

I mean it doesn't stand out. I can only see it in some kind of light. I can feel down and across it and feel his bone.

I think he is fine then. Get it looked at because I can only do so much online but I think you have nothing to worry about

Is passed photos, it seems to be there. Since baby years.

What are the options of what it can be?

that is probably just his anatomy then

Ok. Did you also see the baby photo? I can kind of see it in them also. Just recently really noticed it. Does this look concerning?
Like I said, doesn't stand out. Looking at it from the side, no bump is visable.

Yes I can see it that is why it isn't concerning. If it was there that long and it were bad it would be a problem by now

Ok. Do you have any options of what it could be?
And what would the ultrasound rule out?
Does fluid accumulation mean anything on the forehead? I wasn't even considering malignancy until you said that..

I think it is just his anatomy. He has more soft tissue there. Could be some type of cyst but I doubt it. I really think it is just how he is built

Ok. Thanks. A cyst would feel like a lump though right?
This doesn't have any defined edges. It's just soft and sticks out a little.

Not necessarily on the cyst. But it is likely not that given it was there since he was very young

Ok. Are there any scary possibilities on forehead lumps?

no not really

please don't forget a positive rating. That is the only way we are credited for our work

If you have more questions, just reply

Ok. So I should have a pediatrician see him for this?
And a cyst is benign right?
Also, a pool of fluid in forhead could just be anatomy?

Correct on all 3 fronts.

Ok.
Is this a AsAP thing or can I watch it?
He may have bumped if head recently and I didn't know too to
Make it more pronounced. I'm so worried.

you can watch it. clearly it was there since he was a baby. I see no reason to worry. Just get in when you can

Ok. Yes. Multiple photos over the years show it at some angles and in the correct lighting.
Thanks.

welcome :)

Please don't forget that all important rating. I appreciate it

Relist: Answer quality.
Dermatologist
I noticed you relisted Michelle
I thought I spent a lot of time with you and gave you great information.
What else do you seek?
I just would like to know what the options are of things this could be
Relist: Answer quality.
Dermatologist
would you mind rating positive for me first?
That is the only way I am credited for my time.
Then I can opt out
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor