How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 11267
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been having a skin issue few months. I am

Customer Question

Hello. I've been having a skin issue for a few months. I am 20 years old and I've rarely had acne other than hormonal acne when I was younger, but never ever this bad. It first started with my face having severe acne and then my chest and then my back... Now I have all this and bumps on my arms, legs, neck, stomach and sides. It's itchy and looks disgusting. I have stuck to the same body soaps for years (dove and ivory) same shampoo and conditioner, hypoallergenic laundry soap, to my knowledge I'm not allergic to anything... I really feel like this is ruining my life and my skin, I now have acne scars and nothing is working. I finally went to a doctor and she told me I had folluiculitis and eczema, and prescribed me clyndamycin. It's been a weeks since then and I haven't seen or felt a change. I don't know what to do anymore and this is going on way too long. I've never had more than one pimple on my chest or back, my skin has for the most part always been clear other then some breakouts id get on my face. Please help! I can provide pictures for you to see and tell me what you think it is as it seems it's increasing everyday.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
Do you have any other symptoms?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
From what you have posted I can tell that this is a problem that is beyond being treated at home with over the counter meds.
It is time for you to get into see a dermatologist for a complete, upcloseandpersonal, examination possibly with specialized testing such as a skin scraping or even a full thickness biopsy. This is especially true since even your primary care MD has not been able to even put a dent in this condition with prescription medication.
Does this make sense to you?
I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to post some pictures so you can see it as I think it's impossible to diagnose it with only how I feel. How may I be able to do so ?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Here is how you can post pictures:
Please see this helpful page:
Or you can use this site:
Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to
Upload your picture to the site by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

these are the pictures, please tell me what it is, it is itchy and i think the more i itch the more it spreads. what do you think this is ?

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Let me take a look at the pictures....and get more coffee ;)
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Looks like acne....
Time to skip your primary care MD and get into see a dermatologist. You sure do not want anymore scars to form.
Don't continue to try to deal with this on your own.
make sense?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS