Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have felt bugs in my hair for years now. It started in my

Customer Question
pubic area and then leg...
I have felt bugs in my hair for years now. It started in my pubic area and then leg hair, underarms then eyelashes eyebrows also the nape around the top of my neck, but not in my head hair. I can also feel them on my partners pubic hair, he says he cant. I've seen dermatologist was useless he sent me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Ekbom Syndrome. I'm not imagining this!! I find what look like seeds in my pubic hair very weird. Tiny black dots. But if I shave the itching doesnt stop it only stops it feel as though I have bugs in the hair follicle root. The only thing that helps is if the hair are pulled out plucked or waxed and lyclear helped but I just catch them back from my eyelashes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
5/22/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Hello
Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.
My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.
Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .
Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:
Have you taken a course of Ivermectin or any other medical drug to get rid of the infestation?
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
The only medication I've used is lyclear it does seem to help but never clears it up fully. But I cant put lyclear on my eyelashes.
Do you have a photo of the eyelashes?
I could zoom it and check for the nits?
There would be nothing visible. The black dots are the size of a pinprick. The seeds are smaller than a bread seed and I only find about 2 a day and don't have any at the moment. My dog sleeps in my bed and when she lays close to me she scratches continously and she does not have fleas. Are there any skin parasites that live on the route of the hair. I bath every day and although it helps I can still feel them when I am immersed in water. I got to the stage where I was having bleach baths which relieved the itching. I know this is real for the following reasons; it doesn't make sense I have Ekbom Syndrome as I do not feel them in my head hair. I can feel them on my partner. Bleach , lyclear, waxing and plucking help. My dog only ever scratches when in my bed. The seeds where on earth are seeds coming from. I notice when I'm in the bath seeds will just pop up in my public hair. If I pull the hors the itch I can feel a ridge at the top of the hair follicle before I pull it out. On hairs that do not itch there is no ridge at the top. The problem is whatever these are they are only barely visible to the human eye, black dots. The seeds are clearly visible to thehuman eye. Have you got any idea what this couled be or have heard anything like it before. My ex partner did feel these bugs as well. My current partner doesn't. What if any skin parasites live on hair roots? This happened overnight after a sexu al experience it wasn't gradual I literally felt them the same night and they've been there ever since.
Thank you for your reply.
There are certain parasite called Demodex follicularis that live in the hair root and along side.
Have the doctors examined the hair root under a microscope?
I've added a photo of my eyelashes, pubic hair and a photo of one of the seeds next to a penny so you can get an idea of the size. Do demodex only live on pubic hair then and do they leave seed or small bits of tobacco like bits or black dots? I've heard of demodex before, but what I read is they don't usually itch people of why do they affect me so badly. If they are demodex why would my dog scratch when lying in my bed. Let me reiterate she doesn't just scratch in the bed but only when she cuddles up to me and when I am partially clothed and that is the only time, so I know it's me.
The dermatologist looked at 1 hair under the microscope not one that itches and not at the root. But my doctor refuses to refer me because I've seen one. She now prescribes me anti psychotics under the psychiatrist's order for Ekbom Syndrome, may I add they don't change anything, I feel the bugs just as prominently on them as I do without them and I have never had a skin scrape.
dermdoc19
dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist