Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have a shiny spot the size of an eraser on my penis head.

Customer Question

I have a shiny spot the size of an eraser on my penis head. I am married and have not been with anyone else in 8 years. The spot shows no symptoms at all. I wouldn't even know it was there unless I saw it. It gets brighter sometimes but never gets bigger. It is not raised either. This has been on me for a week.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm on mobile and cannot access upload link. Can you provide an alternative?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
If you can transfer the photograph to your computer at some point then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

Or you can email the photographs directly from your mobile to***@******.*** with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you dr. I just emailed the pics per your instructions.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Okay great. The mail will take at least a few hours to reach me and I will get back to you asap once I do. We can then continue this at your convenience.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photographs. This could just be a healing penile abrasion (as can occur during rough sex or masturbation) and for now I would suggest you apply a moisturizer on the area twice a day - something like Cetaphil Restoraderm or Aveeno is great. Give this a week - if the patch clears up well and good. If not then other possibilities need to be considered and the two main ones are Penile Psoriasis and Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Seborrheic Dermatitis is a type of dry eczema and Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition of the skin where it is made faster than normal in certain areas. Both tend to get scaly when fully developed but in the early stages may just be a faint red patch like you have.

Both conditions are best treated with prescription creams like Mometasone or Fluticasone (combined with Eberconazole in the case of Seb Derm). However if you cannot see a doctor for any reason then here is an over the counter regimen that can help:

1% Cortizone cream + 1% Clotrimazole cream: Mix in equal parts and apply twice a day for 14 days over the affected area. If it looks better then continue applying them once at night for about 10 days and alternate night for 10 days more and then stop.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

Neither Seb Derm nor Psoriasis are sexually transmitted so don’t worry on that account. However avoid sex and masturbation for a few weeks if possible to give the penile skin a chance to recover.

Pleased feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.