Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

If you have hair loss while taking ldn, will it taper off as

Customer Question
the body gets used to...
If you have hair loss while taking ldn, will it taper off as the body gets used to the drug, or do we expect it to continue at the rate it currently is falling out? I am a woman.
Since I am going to be paying for this I'd also like to ask about a friend. She recently has lost most of her hair on her head within 2 months. And all her blood tests came out normal. No life changes. Any advice for her? She's 41.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/6/2015
Dermatologist: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
This is Dr. David
what do you mean by "taking Idn"?
Low dose Naltrexone. 4.5 mg to increase natural endorphins. It helps people to reduce inflammation in the body and is used for a whole host of things such as MS, fibromyalgia. I use it as an alternative to antidepressants under the supervision of my psychiatrist. He knows nothing about it but because we've already used up all our traditional options he was willing to try this because I did a bunch of research on it. If you are not familiar with this protocol, then perhaps you won't be able to answer this because you won'y know if the hair loss tapers off. But is 1 tsp a day normal for a woman in menopause taking bioidentical hormones - again with a doctor.Even if you can't help me, could you speak to the question about my friend who has lost most of her hair in the last two months with all normal blood tests and is using regain and wearing wigs?
many things can cause hair loss
it is normal to have 1 tsp of hair loss a day.
there is a normal cycle of hair loss and hair growth. this normal hair loss is called telogen effluvium
you should get your thyroid hormone levels checked and iron levels checked as well. low levels of these can cause hair loss.
I would check these first.
usually LDN would not cause hairloss.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician