dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Acne or cold sore?

Customer Question

I'm trying to figure out if this is acne or a cold sore on my lip. I've never had a cold sore in my life and I've tested negative for HSV1/2 within the past year. I plan to be retested soon. I'm embarrassed to leave the house with this on my lip though and would like to figure out what to do so that it may heal more quickly. It doesn't hurt or feel like it is burning. It appeared suddenly yesterday, it looked like acne definitely at first, but now looks like this and has been the same since last night. There have been no symptoms like tingling in past few days. The swelling seems to temporary go down when I apply cold compresses. (I'll need to upload the pictures)

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 2 years ago.
any more pics?