Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have these three bumps that have been on my penis for

about a month now and...
I have these three bumps that have been on my penis for about a month now and won't go away. After I shaved I noticed twould of the bumps, for the last 3 weeks I have been trying to pop them but only one has been able to produce a thick white pus. I was tested for herpes a year ago and everything came back negative.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2015
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

How would I do that?

If you can transfer the photograph to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

Or you can email the photographs to***@******.*** with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.

I did the paper clip thing on my phone I'm not by a computer

The image you uploaded fails to open. You can email the picture as directed from your phone or upload later when you have access to a computer.

Ok I'm un able to get to a computer so I guess I will have to email

We're you able to get any of those pics?

All of the links hang on opening - are you still trying from your phone?

Yes I tried again then also emailed them. The bumps have what feels like a hard stone just under the skin and can not be popped (except one). I have ocd so I've been trying to pop them which really inflamed them and now they have a red base.

Okay I will wait for the email and get back to you as soon as I see the pictures.

Let me also say there is no pain from the bumps or any blister like form. No itch or pain urinating

Have you received them yet?

Hello again,

No I haven't. It typically takes 6-8 hours for JustAnswer to forward emailed photographs (once you receive an acknowledgement from them about your mail).

Your bumps are suggestive of either a bacterial infection called Folliculitis or a viral infection called Molluscum Contagiosum. Herpes does not present like you have described.

Ok well I hope you receive them soon

We're you able to open that picture

Thank you for the photograph. These bumps are most suggestive of a diagnosis of Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum Contagiosum is an infectious skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus) and spreads by skin to skin contact. The mode of transmission is usually sexual when these bumps occur on the genital area.

The simplest way to deal with them would be to leave them alone if a patient is sexually inactive since the bumps disappear on their own in 6-12 months. However since during this time the bumps can spread to a partner or to surrounding unaffected skin it is best to have your lesions removed by either radiofrequency, laser ablation, cryotherapy or needle extirpation followed by TCA application. Imiquimod cream also works well and is non invasive unlike the procedures I just listed. Your doctor can prescribe it for you.

If you cannot see a doctor then there are some over the counter treatments that like Zymaderm, Molluscum Rx, and Poxiderm that work. These are liquid formulations that need to be applied twice a day on the bumps and allowed to dry and then left on. Benefit can take 6-12 weeks but the success rate is quite good.

NOTE: The virus can spread by auto-inoculation. That is by scratching existing lesions with the fingers. So if you're not having them removed, do not touch the mollusca unnecessarily.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

So it's definitely not herpes?

this is definitely not Herpes.

Kindly consider rating our interaction to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.

I just don't understand how I could have gotten it since I've been with my girlfriend for 10 months now

One can also pick up the infection from contaminated fingers or razor blades or in a host of other ways - these classify as asexual transmission of Mollusca and occurs from time to time.

Is it true that once there gone, you can never get them again?

Once they are gone and no new lesions/bumps appear for 3-4 months then they are gone for good.

I read that pepole with hiv/aids commonly get these. Do I need to have concern about that too? I was tested for hiv before my recent relationship. How long after infection does molluscum contagiosum appear?

No - normal people get them just as frequently. Molluscum appears 2 weeks to 2 months after infection.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

One more question. It says that molluscum contagiosum has dimples. These do not

Sure - dimples are a characteristic feature of Molluscum but missing in many early lesions. By no means is it essential for a lesion to be labeled a Molluscum. Regards.

But mc does have a fell like a tiny stone is under the skin?

But I have had one of thos bumps (lower left) for as long as I can remember, it feels the same as the otheres

Good Morning,

The 'tiny stone' like thing you mention is the molluscum body and it is not hard but actually quite soft. The translucent pearly appearance of the smallest intact bump is the tell tale sign of these bumps being Mollusca.

I am not sure what your long term bump is since all I saw in your pictures were the three bumps you asked about.

But it's definitely not herpes or warts?

its definitely not Herpes or Warts
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist