Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I have bumps all over my body, sometime the ones on my

I have brown bumps all...
I have brown bumps all over my body, sometime the ones on my thighs itch and I use a cortisone 10. They are increasing to all areas and has been progressing over the years. I am 71 years young. I can upload a picture.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/16/2014
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Hello, I'm Dr. Attili and I'm here to help you. Please do upload pictures at your convenience.
You have a few options for sending me pictures. Please see if one of them works for you. However whatever option you chose, do make sure each photo is less than 1 MB in size, but please do not compress the pictures so much so that they are just thumbnail size.
1. The quickest: upload the pictures here using the upload icon in your reply/chat box. Please see this tutorial page if you don't know how. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help-expert/can-i-use-linkimage-my-answer-are-there-policies-about-file-sharing-uploads-and-removals
This option will not be available to mobile/ipad users. You can try emailing the photos to yourself (making sure you chose the largest size of the image while emailing) and access/ upload them via your computer, if you have one.
2. Upload the pictures to online photo sharing websites like Flickr/photobox/picasa web albums and paste the link here.
3. Alternatively you can email them to***@******.***. Please however make sure you follow the below guidelines:
Please write in the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Attili'.
You HAVE to send the email from the email address you registered with on justanswer OR paste the link to your question in your email
Finally, do ask customer services for acknowledgment of receipt, in your email. Also do note though that emails might take a few hours to be forwarded to me (and hence first two options preferable).
Finally, Please make sure you take the pictures in bright natural lighting without a flash.
I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Please note: this is general information only & doesn't substitute an in-person doctor examination.
I replied to your email with the pictures attached since there is no upload feature here like you indicated.
Thanks. I have received the pictures overnight.
Based on the pictures, there are mainly 2 diagnostic possibilities:
1. Capillaritis: You can read all about it here- http://dermnetnz.org/vascular/capillaritis.html
2. Vasculitis- You can read all about it here- http://www.dermnetnz.org/vascular/vasculitis.html
The only way to confirm the diagnosis is to get a skin biopsy done. Your dermatologist should be able to do that and this is highly recommended, as there are other rarer possibilities (conditions like mastocytosis, which are not worth discussing at this point of time) which can only be diagnosed on a skin biopsy.
The treatment would entirely depend on the exact diagnosis. Capillaritis does not usually have a defined cause, but can be treated with Ultraviolet light treatment. However, if it is a vasculitis, you would need to take steroid tablets internally and find out the underlying cause for the same.
Personally I would favor this being a Capillaritis, based on the fact that the spots are brown and do not have a reddish tinge. But I am sorry, it is not possible to be precise about the diagnosis, without a skin biopsy. Please do get back to me after you have had the skin biopsy done. I am a Dermatopathologist myself and would be able to help explain the report and provide further advice.
Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. Best wishes.
Dr. S. Attili