Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Had reaction to Cephalexin in the last week. Have been

Customer Question
Had reaction to Cephalexin in...
Had reaction to Cephalexin in the last week. Have been taking Walgreen's brand of Benadryl and using Cortisone-10 ointment. Rash is still pretty bad and still itching shortly after using the ointment. Is there anything else I should do to help this situation? Didn't know how long this would take to go away.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Dermatology
10/28/2013
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Is the rash generalized or only present in certain areas of the body? Is the rash dry or wet/oozy?

Rash is on back and front of arms below elbow, on neck, sides of face, also some on fingers. It is dry.

Thank you for the information. A drug reaction like you are having generally clears within 1-2 weeks of stopping the drug but can last as long as 4-6 weeks in some cases.

You have been doing the correct things in using the Cortizone-10 ointment and the Benadryl so, here are my suggestions to make the regimen more effective:

Moisturizer with a bland moisturizer such as Aquaphor ointment three to four times a day - apply on all affected areas. Follow this 5 minutes later with the Cortizone-10 ointment in the morning and night. At night, if possible, wrap a layer of moist bandage 5 minutes after the Cortizone-10 has been applied and leave on overnight. This makes the ointment nearly ten times as effective as using without occlusion. Obviously this can only be done for certain body parts like the arms.

Tablet Benadryl 25 mg three times a day. If you’re already taking this dose without relief, then add Tablet Claritin 10 mg twice a day - once in the morning and night - the combination can offer marked relief from itching.

Use only a soap free body wash while bathing, e.g Sebamed Olive Oil Face and Body wash, and moisturize immediately after. Colloidal Oatmeal baths can also be used and are soothing.

Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

Load up on antioxidants in your diet - things like fresh fruits and berries are good sources of antioxidants. You can also take them as supplements - Capsule Lumitene 30 mg (Beta Carotene) is a good antioxidant and will help the skin recover from the inflammatory process. Take it twice a day after meals for 2-4 weeks.

Avoid strenuous exercise and get as much rest as you can. Make sure your ambient temperature in the house is not too hot or cold. Try and wear 100% cotton clothes as other materials can irritate the skin and trigger itching.

NOTE: All of the above are available over the counter without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you so much Dr. Nair. Will certainly try some of those other things.

You're most welcome! Hope you feel better soon. Let me know how it goes, all the best & regards.
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist