dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Painful swollen red bumps around the pubic area

Customer Question

I have these red bumps around my pubic area and one large red bump that is swollen and painful when touched.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 4 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

would it be possible to forward a photograph? Thank you.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:
dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

This appears to be Molluscum Contagiosum

dermdoc19 :

This is due to a virus. The pubic area is a frequent site, and is usually transmitted sexually in your age group. There is an incubation period of 3-6 weeks, meaning that would be the general time frame during which you picked the pesky lesions up. Yours seem quite inflamed in places, accounting for the tenderness. Usually these are asymptomatic.

dermdoc19 :

Untreated these lesions usuallypersist for 6-9 months before slowly involuting, usually without leaving a scar. Most patients cannot wait that long and since yoyu may spread this to others, it would be wise to treat this.

dermdoc19 :

I am not sure if you shaved the area, to make the diagnosis more apparent. However, once it seems the rash is under control it would be a good idea to stop shaving since this can spread them.

dermdoc19 :

Cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen ( freezing) is effective and usually does not produce scarring. However, this can be relatively painful. Curettage is excellent. An instrument called a curette scrapes the lesions off. A blistering agent called Canatharidin 0.7% is totally painless. A drop of the blistering agent is placed on the bump. The treated lesion develops a small blister within 24 hours which then goes away, taking the lesion with it. Imiquimod 5% cream ( Aldara) can be prescribed. This can be applied daily or less. This perks up the immune system. However, this generally takes about 12 weeks. This is a prescribed product. If you would want to try an over the counter product before consulting with your doctor, you can try either Molluscum Rx or Poxiderm. You would place a drop on each lelsion daily. This takes between 6-12 weeks to resolve but is totally painless and relatively inexpensive. These can be obtained in some pharmacies, or on line.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to answer further questions or clarify any of the above. Just let me know.

dermdoc19 :

I hope this helps.

dermdoc19 :

By the way, I would not bother taking Doxycycline. This is for a bacterial infection and this appears to be a viral infection. However, if this could become infected at which time, Doxycycline could be used.

Are you sure thats what it is? this is a close up of the big red spot by my thigh. It blistered and pus and blood came out this mourning.

dermdoc19 :

I still favor that diagnosis. They can become infected and inflamed. However,I change my mind about taking Doxycycline and feel you should cnonue wit is. I really do not see pustules as one would expect in a folliculitis. I have seen this reaction occasionally with Molluscum.

A blistering agent called Canatharidin 0.7% is totally painless. A drop of the blistering agent is placed on the bump. How do I get this medicine I'd like them gone asap. What kind of doctor do I go to see? Is it usually expensive?

dermdoc19 :

Usually a dermatologist will have this ( Pediatricians too, incidentally). It can be a little difficult to find since it comes from Canada. YOu are correct in that it is painless and that is why it is popular to use on children. However the results can be unpredictable in that sometimes, there can be a rather large blister. You are also correct in that this works quickly.