How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask vakularen Your Own Question
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 4059
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H.In practice since last 35 years.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
vakularen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Why is the skin under the head of penis peeling off?

This answer was rated:

I am sexually active. I am circumsized and noticed a dry patch of skin that went around right under the head of my penis that kind of looked like dry circles. I thought it may have been dried semen so I rubbed it off after a shower and the affected area was very raw afterwards. I applied jock itch cream for 2 days and the skin stopped looking dry so I didn't apply it anymore. Now about a few weeks later I came out the shower and dried my penis with the towel rubbing the shaft to get an excessive water and after I looked at my penis I seen that I may have rubbed it too hard and rubbed more skin off from the same area. I'm worried it may be attributed to some sort of STD. I started to use clotrimazole cream today.  I have taken pictures of the effected area.

Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Have you noticed any lesion or bump on penis head?
Do you have pain/ blood in urination?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kindly post photograph.

It would help if you pasted the photograph.From the description ,it appears to be a fungal infection of the glans.Other possibilities would include allergic dermatitis,eczema,lichen planus and Sebbhoreic dermatitis.You would need to use the local antifungal Clotrimazole/Canesten or lamisil AF or terbenafine creams twice locally.The local or oral antifungal will need to be carried on for another 2-3 weeks after the symptoms disappear to prevent recurrence.Using cotton undergarments and keeping the area dry will help.You may contact your PCP/Urologist if you suspect a STD infection following possible exposure.Investigations will help eliminate any STD.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you need a better picture let me know when I took this one I had already applied the clomitrazole cream. But its the two pink circles under the head and I'm sure if I rub the area with a towel again it'll rub away more skin.

It does look like a fungal infection from what can made out.I suggest you use the Clotrimazole regularly for a couple of weeks.
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 4059
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H.In practice since last 35 years.
vakularen and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you