Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have a lump on my cheek. What could it be.

I have a lump on my butt cheek. What could it be.

Hello

Welcome and thanks for your question

I would be pleased to help you with your Question

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with Excellent service . If you have any queries , you can clarify them by clicking on the Reply tab.

Is there any pain on the lump?

Is the lump wood hard?

Do you have history of Diabetes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sometimes.yes its hard. and yes i am type 1 diabetic.lump has been there for a while.

Thanks for the information .
Is there any pus oozing from it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. just a hard lump

Thanks for the information provided.
It seems to be one of the following:
Dermatofibroma
Furuncle
Sebaceous Cyst .

The first condition Dermtofibroma could be a consequence of a furuncle . It means it is a healed tissue following an inflammation with a lot of fibrosis which makes it hard . The treatment includes application of a steroid anitbiotic combination . It is commonly seen in diabetics . Intralesional steroid injections also do help .

If it does not heal with the steroid anibiotic combination it would be important to rule out sebacceous cysts which is a lump of the hair and oil gland on the butt cheek .
It needs to be removed with the help of a small procedure .

If you are pleased with the answer , do remember to give me a Rating for my answer .
If you have any further questions , please do ask . I would be pleased to answer them till you get a complete satisfactory response.
Please note that my Goal is to provide you with Excellent service

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what causes these and what type of doctor should i see.

Thanks for the query posted .

These are caused by the inflammation of the hair follicle in the butt area .
Diabetes predisposes to these Furuncles .
Compression due to sitting for long periods along with sweating also can contribute to the inflammation of the hair follicles.

YOU SHOULD see a Dermatologist or a General Surgeon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what would happen if i just let it go untreated. can my pcp treat it or would he recommend seeing someone.

He would recommend seeing the specialist I have mentioned above .
If you let it remain that way there are two ways it could be seen:
One is it might just remain the way it is .
The second is that it might get infected .
So it would be better to get it examined by the General Surgeon or the Dermatologist .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im embarassed to see doctor.would it help if i just used antibiotic ointment and warm compresses for a few days . could high blood sugars keepbit from healing .

the blood sugars might cause delayed healing.

You can use the anitbiotic till then .

Thanks