How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nair Your Own Question
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9190
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Nair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Bumps on my pubic area

This answer was rated:

I have small bumps on my pubic area I am a 30 year old male. They are very small and pinkish redish in color. I also got a lump on my ball area next to my penis, it looked like a pimple at first, I tried popping it and a clear liquid came out. It is very sore. The bumps on my pubic area do not itch or hurt. Is this hair folliculitus? I have a picture or two of the areas. Don't know what to do or who to go to. Just lost my job and don't have insurance anymore. Please someone help. I do have hsv2 but it is not it, from pictures online I have seen and info about it I am sure it is not it. These bumps have been there for at least 2 months now and the lump has been there about 2-3 days.

Thank you for the photographs of the bumps (not shown here for privacy).

The small bumps that have been persistent for 2 months are something known as Molluscum Contagiosum. The big bump that has only been there a few days is a bacterial infection of the skin known as a Furuncle.

Molluscum Contagiosum is a viral skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus). The mode of transmission is sexual when these bumps occur on or around the genitalia. Per se Mollusca are harmless and even without treatment go away in 6 months to 2 years.

The simplest way to deal with these bumps would be to leave them alone if a patient is sexually inactive. However if you are it would be best to have your lesions removed by either radiofrequency, laser ablation or needle extirpation followed by TCA application. Imiquimod cream also works well and is non invasive unlike the procedures I just listed. You would need to see a doctor for all of these however, nothing over the counter works reliably.

If you are not having them removed then do not burst them since the virus can spread by auto-inoculation to the surrounding skin.

Coming to the Furuncle - I would suggest putting Bacitracin ointment on it twice a day and taking Tablet Advil 400 mg twice a day (after meals) for 5-7 days. That should help it subside and both of these are available over the counter without a prescription. However if it becomes bigger or you develop fever then you require a course of oral antibiotics and will need to see a doctor in person.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok that makes me feel alot better. Is it common for them to spread to the penis as well? I have noticed one or two on my penis. Also I noticed something where I was circumsized, not sure if it was due to the that or if it is from the hsv2? I understand you have alot of other patients but just want to be sure this is related as well. I wasnt sure about if this was what you said becuase I was told I have hair folliculitus as well, on my back and my buttocks area I get bad almost like blisters they are red and sometimes swell up bad and if popped they discharge puss and blood, have had that on my buttocks for very long time. One last question as well I noticed on either side of my thighs looks like a pimple, but when I first tried to pop it than it wouldnt, has a whitehead on it though, but when squeezed it almost seems to invert and than swells up, one has gone away and one developed on other thigh, went away and recently came back again..I can take pictures now of all I talked about to show you, I would really appreciate the help, I just want to be sure I am ok

You’re most welcome and thank you for the additional photographs (not shown here for privacy).

I’m not exactly sure what the bumps near the head of the penis are (its hard to be sure without actually palpating these bumps) but they could either be molluscum or harmless penile bumps known as pearly penile papules. They are not because of herpes though.

The bumps on the base of the penis are Mollusca.

The spot on your thigh looks like resolving folliculitis.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, awesome, well sorta lol. I really appreciate all your help, wish you lived in my area so I could come see you for check ups. So one last thing and than I will do the rating, so for all the stuff you told me, what doctor would be best to go to, to get prescribed something or to take care of these? There are alot of them and its really embarrassing.I just wasnt sure if I needed to go to a dermatologist or regular doctor, I lost my job few days ago so I will have to pay cash and cant afford a whole lot.

I understand. A dermatologist would be the best person to see at this point. Seeing a GP might be fruitless since he will probably refer you to a dermatologist anyways.
Dr. Nair and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok great! Thank you very much! Have a great day!!!

You're most welcome! All the best & regards.