dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Small red patches on end of my nose. Sometimes small pimples

Small red patches on end of my nose. Sometimes small pimples with it. Irritated by sun or cold. Sometimes bleeds if I scrub it. Clears up completely then comes back eventually. Wondering if it's psoriasis (which I have but mild), roscea or skin cancer. Have appt with local dermatologist later in the month but curious now. Have a picture I can post.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Good evening.

dermdoc19 :

Yes, please post a photo. Thank you.

Customer:

dermdoc19 :

This appears to be Rosacea.

dermdoc19 :

Or a folliculitis.

dermdoc19 :

This should respond very well to an oral antibiotic such as Doxycycline.

dermdoc19 :

This would be the papulo-pustular form of rosacea. At any rate, this is not psoriasis or skin cancer.

dermdoc19 :

I would not use hydrogen peroxide or triple antibiotic cream on it.

dermdoc19 :

The fact that this "clears up completely," and what I perceive to be redness on the cheeks, makes me favor Rosacea over follicultiis. Fortunately, this type of rosacea is the easiest to treat.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions or expand on the above.

Customer:

Sometimes makeup or sunscreen or lotion to moisturize my face seems to make the "pimples" larger or worse. Is that just part of it or do you have a recommendation of something that would not irritate it?

dermdoc19 :

I like RevaleSkin

dermdoc19 :

This is a great moisturizer for Rosacea.

dermdoc19 :

However, Stiefel has stopped manufacturing it so it may be hard to obtain.

dermdoc19 :

Aveeno Ultra calming cream is also very good for rosacea and would recommend this. It has a sunscreen in it as does the AM RevaleSkin product.

dermdoc19 :

Orally, Niacinamide 250 mg. twice a day, and Azelaic acid will help.