dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a skin discoloration on my penis that I just noticed,

Customer Question

I have a skin discoloration on my penis that I just noticed, wondering if this is normal or something I need to have checked out by a Doctor. I have a picture, I just can't seem to figure out how I can upload it.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

To upload you click on the paper clip icon and upload.

dermdoc19 :

Is this skin discoloration darkening on lightening.

Customer:

Darkening on lightening

dermdoc19 :

Meant darkening OR lightening. Sorry.

Customer:

Darkening

dermdoc19 :

Does this darkening flare up off and on?

dermdoc19 :

No itching I take it?

Customer:

no, and no itching

Customer:

dermdoc19 :

Thank ;you for the photograph> Was there any sort of rash there before it turned dark?

Customer:

no

dermdoc19 :

Any trauma at all?

Customer:

but it seems to be getting bigger

Customer:

i had a hernia surgery recently

Customer:

and they said I may have swelling, hence the closer look than normal

Customer:

but this is not swelling

Customer:

I noticed it a few months ago and didn't think of it again as it was smaller

Customer:

but it appears to have grown

dermdoc19 :

This to me appears to be some type of vascular compromise. Perhaps, a small embolus ( nothing dangerous) has traveled to the superficial blood vessels. My suggestion would be to consult with the surgeon who performed the hernia repair. This does not appear to be a skin condition per se.

Customer:

so skin cancer and the like does not look like this?

dermdoc19 :

This would be a very strange pattern for this. I am assuming the skin within this dark area is normal? I am also assuming this has come up rather quickly.

Customer:

no it was there before the surgery, but smaller I think

Customer:

the surgery, and subsequent swelling prompted me to examine further and it appeared it had grown

dermdoc19 :

The area between and among the dark areas, has normal skin.

Customer:

I didn't document the size before, so I am not sure. So I am trying to decide if this is something i should make a dr appt for or not

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I believe the skin is normal

dermdoc19 :

I would make an appointment. I do not feel that this is really a pigmented lesion problem. However, a dermatologist can use an instrument called a dermatoscope to be sure. I would also be happy to show the picture to some of my colleagues Tuesday night so you can obtain multiple opinions.

dermdoc19 :

No foregin travel?

Customer:

not recently

dermdoc19 :

OK

dermdoc19 :

No medical issues?

Customer:

and is this an appointment that needs to be made asap, I know my dermotoligist is usually at least a month out on appts

dermdoc19 :

What I would recommend is asking to speak to the dermatologist. It is a trick I tell patients. It is rare for a dermatologist to turn away a patient, especially a pre-existing patient. Usually such decisions are made by a lazy secretary. Nearly, always a patient can be worked into the schedule. Call early in the morning. There should be a cancellation. If this seems to be progressing it should be evaluated and addressed.

Customer:

ok thanks for the advice

dermdoc19 :

Please let me know what happens. I will take your photo to the meeting Tuesday night. ...it is totally anonymous.