Dermatology

Dermatology questions? Ask an online dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 56yrs. and I have just been diagnosed with

Customer Question
Mastocytosis. I was told I...
I am 56yrs. and I have just been diagnosed with Mastocytosis. I was told I have to go for blood tests and I am aware that it can travel through the body. I have the rash on my thighs only. I did some reading about it. It is rare, it can spread. Is there anything you can share with me? Thankyou
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dermatology
5/8/2012
Dermatologist: Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist replied 6 years ago
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Dermadoc :

hello

Dermadoc :

thanks for using just answer

Dermadoc :

i will be glad to be of assistance

Customer:

I did have a biopsy, I was diagnosed with Mastocytosis. I am going to be going for blood tests and I did some reading on it today. I was just diagnosed today. I am aware it can spread internally. So far I just have a rash on both of my thighs.

Dermadoc :

mastocytosis is a condition which can spread internally

Customer:

I am aware of that, as of today.I was wondering what treatments there are, if just on skin. Also what is done if it does spread internally?

Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
it can spread internally. it can affect internal organs of the body, it will be definitely important to go for blood tests.
i will give you more information.
there are two types of mastocytosis:-
1. cutaneous i. e limited to the skin.
2. systemic i. e affecting organs like liver, spleen, stomach, bone marrow etc.
there is accumulation of what we call the mast cells in these organs.
the symptoms will be related to the organs affected.
depending on your blood tests, it will be diagnosed whether you have systemic mastocytosis or not as there are some criteria which need to be met.
if it is so,you will be further evaluated for organ involvement and accordingly the treatment can be instituted.
right now for for your rash, you can use an antihistaminic like tab. claritin 10 mg once at night. cortisone cream can be applied twice a day to the rash.
please let me know all your queries. i will behappy to answer them.

How is it treated internally? I was diagnosed aprox. 3 months ago with CPVT. Having 2 very rare things is mind blowing.. Could it be possible that the symptoms of Mastocytosis mimic the symptoms of CPVT, is there any relation? Maybe I don't have CPVT and it is the Mastocytosis causing the symptoms.

thanks for being patient. i was researching your queries.
cpvt is a condition which is thought to be genetic.
it occurs more commonly in 1st or 2 nd decade of life.
hence it doesnt seem to be related to mastocytosis.
the treatment for internal mastocytosis depends on the organs affected and the severity of the affection.
various agents like interferon alpha or cladribine etc are used.
this is for your reference.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/203948-treatment
regards
Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist