Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I have had a round red spot on my face for many years. It

Customer Question
has not gotton larger and...
I have had a round red spot on my face for many years. It has not gotton larger and it does not itch or hurt . Not raised . My dr. said it is not skin cancer and he said he has never seen anything like that ever. do you have any ideas of what it could be?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dermatology
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/5/2012
Dermatologist: Dr. Nair, Dermatologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Would it be possible to take a photograph of this spot at your convenience?
NO
Okay. I could send you some photographs to compare your condition to in a few hours and we can continue this then. Would this suit you?
DR: I am so low teck --if i can find a picture how can I send it to you? Plus, i do not have a camera, thanks Dr. --that would be great
that sounds like a good idea. Denise
You're most welcome. Will get back to you in a couple of hours and if that's too late for you just respond whenever convenient even tomorrow. Regards.
ok in the mean time I will try to find a good photo of it
Okay great
Dear Dr., Of all the pictures you sent this one resembles what I have: http://dermatology.cdlib.org/94/NYU/Mar2003/031103- Thanks
Hi again,
Thank you for the information. This spot on your face could either be Jessner's lymphocytic infiltrate or Granuloma Faciale. Both of these are harmless conditions but diagnosis requires a skin biopsy for confirmation. Treatment will depend on the final diagnosis. The biopsy will also serve to rule out other conditions like Actinic Keratosis which though not likely from your description and clinical appearance, still needs to be ruled out because of its pre-malignant potential.
Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Dear Dr. Just one more question. What would be a treatment if biopsy confirmed a dx of Jessner's lymphocytic infiltrate? Thanks for your help!
You're most welcome! Many cases of Jessners can resolve spontaneously, so once the diagnosis is conformed some doctors may choose to just observe the lesions every three to six months. As far as treatment goes topical or intralesional steroids are what are tried first. Oral drugs may be required for some cases and consist of oral steroids and hydroxychloroquine. Hope this helps. Regards!
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist