Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

I had genital warts about 25 years ago which were treated

Customer Question
and removed but just recently...
I had genital warts about 25 years ago which were treated and removed but just recently I found a growth on my scrotum that looks like a wart.I have been married for ten years with no other sexual partners.Is it possible that they can come back after so long?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dermatology
5/1/2012
Dermatologist: Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Hi. I will do my best to advise. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor.
Absolutely, they can come back after many years because the virus never goes away from under the skin. We can only treat the wart but not the virus I am afraid. But as long as you get the warts treated, it is nothing to worry about.
Do get back if I can be of further assistance
what would cause a wart to reappear after 25 years?
No one knows the exact reasons for this. Whether the virus causes a wart or not depends on the complex interplay between the virus and the local immunity in the skin. So if you have a cut or abrasion or if for any other reason the local immunity of the skin is down, the virus can get reactivated.
It does not mean anything that you have anything serious underlying or that your immune system is down, if that is what you are worried about.
Should I be concerned that my wife will be infected?
Your wife probably has the virus already if you had warts in the past, so wouldn't make a difference now.She just isn't showing any visible virus (warts).
But she should have her cervical smears regularly, as she should be having as routine. Nothing else is necessary.
she could have got the virus even though I had no warts until recently?
The chance of you transmitting the virus when you ave visible warts, is higher than when you don't have visible warts. But, even when you didn't have a visible wart, since the virus was already in your skin, there is a good chance, she would have got it anyway, by now.
if she goes to the doctor is there any way they can tell if she has the virus?
I am afraid there is no way to know whether she has the virus or not, as it is under the skin. There are no tests for this either.
is there any way to cure the virus?
I am afraid there isn't any way to 'cure' any virus. Even chicken pox virus, stays in the system and comes back as shingles, when one gets older.
However please do not worry about the virus. As long as your wife is getting her cervical smears done regularly, there should be nothing to worry. But any visible warts in both of you, need to be treated by either burning them off, or imiquimod cream. You can get this cream on prescription. The website below explains everything about warts and the cream.
http://dermnetnz.org/viral/genital-warts.html
I hope that answers your question.
Please click Accept, if you are satisfied with my answers. Thanks
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili